Book Club - Booktender -- Part Time
At Book Club, our booktenders will function in a hybrid position of bookseller and barista (morning shift) or bookseller and bartender (afternoon and evening shift). This position is ideal for individuals who thrive in a fast-paced customer service environment, love books, and enjoy talking to people.
- Greet and establish rapport with customers, delivering exceptional service that ensures both sales and high levels of customer satisfaction
- Prepare coffee and espresso drinks to order in accordance with Book Club standards and health code. Barista training can be provided.
- Serve beer, wine, and soft drinks to order in accordance with Book Club standards and health code. Bartender training can be provided.
- Maintain a working knowledge of our inventory and events in order to provide thoughtful recommendations and a personalized experience to customers
- Drive customer loyalty by encouraging loyalty program registration
- Communicate product needs to managers to ensure the store is stocked appropriately with in-demand titles and customer requests
- Recover the floor during each shift by gathering and restocking items, straightening bookcases, maintaining tables in the bar and throughout the store, maintaining restroom cleanliness, and performing other store and bar housekeeping tasks
- Assist as needed with in-store events
- Any and all other duties assigned by the supervisor
- Previous hospitality experience required (bartending, restaurant, or barista)
- Strong communication and people skills
- Ability to multi-task and adapt as the needs of the store develop or change
- Maturity and ability to be self-sufficient
- Availability for early mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays to align with store needs
- Passion for books and the desire to create an East Village community space
The following is not required, but extra consideration will be given to individuals with any of the following:
- NYC Food Protection Certification (If not already certified, will need to be certified within one month of hire date)
- Previous bookselling experience, or an understanding of the book industry, especially independent bookstores
- Experience with book inventory software
All applicants should understand that being a bookseller requires some manual labor: stairs, shelving books, lifting boxes, crouching and reaching, and standing for the entire shift.
Competitive hourly rate plus tips. Benefits for part-time employees include a store discount, access to free advance copies of books, audiobooks, and professional growth opportunities.
To apply, please submit a resume and brief introduction to email@example.com. Please include a “shelf talker:” a short paragraph highlighting one of your favorite books.